About the Project
Youth are invited to create a digital interactive story, game, or mobile app inspired by a special exhibition at the Portland Art Museum. Winning entries will be played at Museum and are eligible for awards.
The Youth Council will be designing the theme in Spring.
Spring 2017: Join the Youth Council and become a community leader in STEAM.
Summer 2017: Make games, stories, and apps in workshops and game jams hosted by Mythos Partners and K-12 educators.
Fall 2017: Enter the third year of our Challenge to remix stories and games in Fall 2017.
The 2015 competition was inspired by the Museum’s special exhibition Gods and Heroes: Masterpieces from the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris.
The 2016 competition was inspired by the Portland Art Museum special exhibition Case Work: Studies in Form, Space & Construction by Brad Cloepfil/Allied Works Architecture.
Each entry must be in the form of a digital story, game, or app. Games can be analog, but must be sturdy enough to withstand heavy play and travel.
Digital entries must be available without fee or cost to players.
Terms and Conditions
- All teams must register for the Mythos Challenge
- Entrants must be in grades K-12.
- Entries must be submitted by the deadline.
- Projects must be entered in one of three categories: Digital Storytelling, Games, or Apps.
- Projects must be associated with one of the Theme's challenges.
- Projects must be clearly remixed from the chosen special exhibition at the Portland Art Museum.
- Each team may submit only one project.
- Entrants 18 and under must have an adult sponsor.
- Entrants can work alone or as a team.
- Entrants must document original work and cite source material.
- Entrants may use any software or medium to create their digital story, game, or app.
- All Entries must include a 200 word or less statement about the project's design process. If the entry is a game or app, please provide detailed play instructions. A template will be provided.
- Entries must be accessible online through a website, repository, or app store.
- Entries must be submitted to the Mythos Challenge Dropbox Account here.
- Entrants are encouraged, but not required, to participate in the Workshop series while developing their projects.
Terms and Conditions
- Failure to comply with any rules, terms and conditions of the competition may result in the participating team’s disqualification and/or the forfeit of the team’s prize; the prize will be awarded to another winner.
- All participants in the Mythos Challenge agree to allow their names, photographs and work submitted to be used for publicity and other purposes as we deem fit by Pixel Arts Game Education and the Portland Art Museum during and after the competition for perpetuity.
- The Mythos Youth Council and partner organizations are not responsible for lost submissions.
- By entering the competition you are indicating acceptance of the rules, terms & conditions of the competition.
All entries must be clearly associated with the chosen Theme. The challenge is about how teams creatively use the special exhibitions material, the theme, and their self-selected section to create something.
Winning Mythos Challenge entries will be eligible for prizes, eligible to be played at pop-up events across the area. Judging criteria, award categories, and prize distribution is developed by our Youth Council and the Youth-Adult Facilitators.
All entries must comply with copyright laws for educational non-commercial use. For more information see "Free to Use" in the Resources section.